Hello again, lovely people!
As you know, I went to Greece for Spring Break, March 2-11, and here I am with promised pictures. I need to go to sleep soon, so I'll try to make this short. Only problem is, there are 56 photos... so bear with me. :D
I traveled with Caelainn and Michael and sorely regret being in the company of the latter. He sort of tainted the trip. But more on that later.
Greece is quite beautiful, and I could really see myself living in Athens or another part of mainland Greece. The islands were equally gorgeous (if not more so), but a bit too small for me to see myself living there. Now I've just got to go back to Greece, sans Michael, and find me a Greek guy to marry! Greek people, by the way, are beautiful and have THE most amazing eyes. I want to be Greek! Anyway, back to how Greece was. Not only was the countryside and archeological ruins amazing sights to see, but I was in mythology heaven. I'm "a bit" of a Greek mythology geek and loved seeing references all over the place. I learned that I have a fascination with the Greek alphabet, and I sort of taught myself how to read Greek, so I can pronounce Greek words, but can't tell you what most of them mean. :P
As you know, I went to Greece for Spring Break, March 2-11, and here I am with promised pictures. I need to go to sleep soon, so I'll try to make this short. Only problem is, there are 56 photos... so bear with me. :D
I traveled with Caelainn and Michael and sorely regret being in the company of the latter. He sort of tainted the trip. But more on that later.
Greece is quite beautiful, and I could really see myself living in Athens or another part of mainland Greece. The islands were equally gorgeous (if not more so), but a bit too small for me to see myself living there. Now I've just got to go back to Greece, sans Michael, and find me a Greek guy to marry! Greek people, by the way, are beautiful and have THE most amazing eyes. I want to be Greek! Anyway, back to how Greece was. Not only was the countryside and archeological ruins amazing sights to see, but I was in mythology heaven. I'm "a bit" of a Greek mythology geek and loved seeing references all over the place. I learned that I have a fascination with the Greek alphabet, and I sort of taught myself how to read Greek, so I can pronounce Greek words, but can't tell you what most of them mean. :P
Ok, let's start with my usual geography lesson:
as you can see, Greece is east of Spain, past Italy, so the flight was pretty long.We had a stopover in Frankfurt, Germany, where we had frankfurts!
They're pretty good, but not too different from regular hotdogs, in my opinion, haha.
Here's a more detailed map of Greece, for reference:

OK, get ready for another haphazard narration from yours truly!
The first thing we did in Athens was to head to the Acropolis!(The Greek part reads "Pros Akropoli," roughly)
Me, grinning like a fool, in front of the Temple of Hephaistos(god of metalworking, husband of Aphrodite)
After half a day of exploring the ancient ruins, we broke for lunch
and delicious smoothies and frappes:
Yea, now I can say that I had lunch near the Acropolis!The cafe was a mere half a mile away from the Acropolis, if that.
this is their metro system, which was cool because part of itwas underground and parts opened up, like this part.
You can see the Temple of Hephaistos in the background.

Greek Orthodox churches are so very different than all the Spanish cathedrals I've been seeing (yes, duh, but I didn't really how different!). This one that we briefly visited was beautiful.
Ahh, yes, Greek food. SO delicious. Here I am, consuming my first of many gyros (pronounced "euros") and mmm, mmm it was delicious. I also had the pleasure of dining on several Greek salads, which are amazing.
On our second day in Athens, we tried to catch a ferry to the island of Santorini at 7:30 am but missed it, so we went to the Olympic Stadium instead.
Healthy breakfast of heart-shaped-chocolate-almond-covered donut in Syntagma Square, where we went after the Olympic Stadium in order to see the ceremony of the Changing of the Guards.
Gotta love those uniforms. The ceremony was pretty interesting. What's crazy is that two days after we were in front of this building, university riots broke out and we saw crazy stuff happening in front of this very building, on the news, while we were on one of the islands. It was rather trippy.We managed to catch a ferry to Santorini at 3:30, and after
a hellish 15-hour ferry ride, arrived there at 6 am.
which had colorful buildings that I liked very much. Tourist season had not started yet, but everybody was preparing for it so we saw construction and painting and remodeling everywhere.
After several hours in Fira, we grabbed some gyros and headed up a hill to watch the sunrise over the caldera, which Santorini is famous for. A caldera is a volcanic crater, btw.
After the breathtaking sunset, we got ready for some night life.
Unfortunately, nobody was out and about because it was not tourist season and all the locals were nowhere to be found! We found a bar called Murphy's that was open, though.
Unfortunately, nobody was out and about because it was not tourist season and all the locals were nowhere to be found! We found a bar called Murphy's that was open, though.
We hopped next door to Town Cafe, where we met an Italian named Nino and his friends, with whom we hung out the rest of the night, at Murphy's.
Then we spent some hours on Perissa Beach (aka Black Beach). This is the view from the Beach Cafe we chilled at for awhile.We then took a ferry to the tiny island of Syros, enroute to Mykonos.
We saw fishermen selling super fresh fish right off their boats.After a night in Syros, we went to our intended destination, the island of Mykonos:

These white and blue buildings were prevalent all over the islands,and they made for a pretty sight.
Caelainn and I were too excited for the possibility of sun and the beach, and we prematurely dressed for tanning... you can't tell in this picture, but we're actually freezing. We wised up quickly, no worries.
Ah, so there is a nasty story behind this decidedly amazing picture. That night in Mykonos, Caelainn and I declined to hang out with Michael because he was being sort of creepy, so he went off the beach to take pictures of the sunset.. and drink a whole bottle of vodka by himself. Needless to say, he returned to our triple room in the hotel very trashed. He was stumbling around clumsily and was sort of scary. He ended up throwing up all night, and it was horrible because Caelainn and I were huddled under the covers terrified of him and his burly disposition. It was a pretty terrible night, and I remember thinking, "this is ridiculous. I am in GREECE, damnit! I shouldn't be having a sleepless night like this!" But eh, we are OK, and it's all in the past now. We just know that from now on, no traveling with Michael under any circumstances. The rest of the trip was like walking on eggshells because he had a bad temper so we didn't want to bring it up. BAH.Anyway! Back to pretty pictures! I am done being mad/bitter about it. I've just learned my lesson about choosing traveling buddies more wisely.
sunset our second night in Mykonos.We returned to Athens that night/early morning and promptly took a bus to Nafplio, in the area of the Peloponnese. And THESE are the stairs we had to climb to get to our hostel (keep in mind we were lugging suitcases with us...)

Funnily enough, after reaching our hostel and depositing our stuff, we decided to go climb the 999 steps up to the Palamidi Castle/Fortress, hahhaha.

Me being me, I tried a Greek burger. And it was weird. But look at how they write "hamburger" (click to enlarge to see text)!!! SO cool/crazy.
Mmm, freshly-made ice cream.From Nafplio, we took a short bus ride to the ancient city of Mycenae to see the ruins. Unfortunately, it started being very rainy and windy. The ruins were still pretty though.
As Caelainn said, "NOT CRACKING!"After returning to Nafplio from Mycenae, we went back to Athens for one last (uneventful) night. So that's my Greece trip in a (rather large) nutshell. I have had a week to let go of my anger, so it's all good now. I am looking forward to this weekend, during which I will be in Morocco (in north Africa; see Europe map) with 5 other people, none of whom have drinking/anger management problems.
OK, sleep now! But since I don't want to end with that picture (hilarious as it is), I'll leave you with a pretty sunset pic of Caelainn and I:





























6 comments:
Another amazing set of pictures. Too bad the trip was tainted, but it looks like you had a good time for most of it, anyway! Greece is definitely on my list of places to see now... I've seen pictures of Santorini before from another friend who visited and added that isle a long time ago, but now I need to see ALL of Greece!
Awww now im jealous. Greece is the one place i really want to go to and have never been yet.
ohmigod! Greece is amaaaaazing! Sucks about the creepy guy, even pics of him are kind of terrifying. But I'm still so jealous and in awe!
Hey Natt!!! It's Adhana. I'm glad you remembered me. WOW!!!! I love all your pictures. It's amazing to be around stuff that is sooo old, yeah? And, I am a history major, so I am sooo envious of you!!! I'm glad you are having a great time. I miss you though! Muah!
greeeeece! sounds so yummy. and beautiful! when you get back, mexican food and gyros for sure. ( : i miss you natt! and pretty sunsets like the ones your getting to see! AHH!
<3
ok, here i go!
your pictures are amazing! keep it up!
jk. ;D
-i loved the view from the temple of olympian zeus!! it was beeeeautiful!
-it made me jealous! and miss you.
- you look uber cool in the picture where you're deciding on what to order
-nice tatoo! altho, its too far away for me to see what it actually is...
- i love how there are statues!!!!
-i already commented on facebook on how delicious that gyro your eating looks...
-mmmmm...hearthshaped chocolate almond donut...seriously...that sounds orgasmic.
-the view from the balcony is gorgeous!!! i can't believe that was your view.
-i love the picture of you and caelainn in front of the water, even tho you said you were freezing your asses off.
- too bad theres a nasty story behind that AMAZING picture of the sky and water...
-lol...damn...thats a lot of stairs.
-thats a weird looking ice cream guy.
-HAHAHA...i love that wind with the umbrellas picture!!!!
and the last picture if the perfect ending to your post!!!
man, see, i told you i needed time to write all that!!!
miss you and love you!
lets talk soooooon!!!
*i miss you like i miss fitting into my jeans from freshman year.
Post a Comment