Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Superbowl, Midterms, and ... Portugal!

Hello hello, dear friends!

I know it's been awhile, but that's because I have only been on one trip since Barcelona. I last left off February 10th-ish, right? OK, what's happened since then? Hmm, I went to watch the Superbowl at a bar called O'Connell's with some very cool chicas. I'm not really into football, but the pre-party was fun, and the game itself was actually very exciting -- the first play was jaw-dropping. Everybody in the bar went absolutely wild.


From left to right: Melanie, Amy, Jumel, Caelainn, me (looking kind of creepy..)
[side note: I am going to be traveling to Morocco with
Melanie, Amy and Caelainn in a couple of weekends!]


The bar was packed, and the atmosphere was charged.
It was a pretty cool bar.


a large group of dudes, all dressed as Elvis, were
situated near us and provided lots of amusement


Well, that's all for superbowl pics. That night was fun. But then! Soon after, I got sick, which was certainly not fun at all. I was miserable for about a week and a half, but at least I had a hilarious/frustrating experience at the pharmacy ("farmacia" in espanol), trying to communicate that I had a cough, sore throat, and fever. :P

I spent the following week hanging with Caelainn, planning out all our trips, and now all my weekends are booked and all my trips are planned, with the exception of two weekends. I only have two weekends left to spend in Madrid! How crazy is that?!

Anyway, after that came midterms, which royally sucked. In all honesty, I had not anticipated having to work at all when I came here to "study" abroad, but midterms week was actually a lot of stress! I suppose everything pales in comparison to Mudd though. Whatev.

Caelainn and I celebrated the end of midterms with... a trip to Lisbon (Lisboa), Portugal!!! We took an 8-hour long bus ride from Madrid and spent a day and a half in Lisbon, and had a blast. It was so crazy when I realized that I was in a different country, surrounded by people who spoke a different language, despite being on the same landmass as Spain. Sort of surreal.

Interestingly, apparently Spaniards and Portuguese hate each other, so we were advised by everybody not to attempt to speak Spanish. All weekend, we spoke English (which actually felt really weird) and everybody was so friendly. Portuguese people are nice. :)

The main word I learned: "obrigado" means "thank you."

So, we arrived at 6 am, bus-lagged (?), and this is pretty much the first thing we saw:

which is one of the many gorgeous plazas in the area
in which we stayed. Cool, huh? (click to enlarge)


We couldn't check into our hostel until 10 am, so we
wandered around a bit, and here are some gorgeous
Lisbon streets/sights.



sunrise!


After much-needed breakfast, we took a tram to the flea market.
Isn't the tram cute? Very San-Francisco-esque. hah.


The flea market was called "Feira da Ladra" and it
was pretty cool.

After the flea market, we went to the area called Saldanha to see the Museu Gulbenkian, then we had lunch, after which we went to see the "Castelo de Sao Jorge" which was the Castle of Saint George.

This is the entrance to the castle.


I think the castle was my favorite sight in Lisbon.


it even had a view of Lisbon's own Golden Gate bridge!
Ok, I don't actually know what the bridge is called,
but it sure looks like the one in San Fran!


this is us on the super cool bridge over the dry
moat leading into the castle


inside the castle we found a well! old-school.


I felt like I was in a Lord of the Rings movie or something.


for serious. SO cool. and pretty.


yea, I'm just nonchalantly leaning in an arch. I'm cool like that.


After the Castle, we checked into our hostel, which was pretty nice, especially for the cheap price. We rested a bit, then we got dressed up and headed out for Lisbon's famed night life! We met up with a group of friends from SLU (where I'm studying in Madrid) who were also in Portugal for the weekend and went to the area called "Barrio Alto" (roughly translated, tall neighborhood), and boy, did it live up to its name! We climbed super steep hills to reach a small area in which a TON of people were congregated, just hanging out and drinking on streets on which there were a bunch of small bars and discotecas (clubs).

This is right before we reached the crowd.

We met a group of really nice Portuguese guys and hung out with them for most of the night. They took us to a bar that served "ginjinha," Portugal's famous cherry brandy, but it was closed. Fortunately, being locals, they got the bartender to bring us out some shots. Cooool -- we got the hook-ups!



group picture: cheeese!


The next morning, we had breakfast at an award-winning cafe.


breakfast was deeeeelicious, albeit not-so-healthy..


After breakfast, we took a bus to an area just outside of Lisbon, Belem, where we saw the "Mosteiro dos Jeronimos," which is a famous monastery:



this is the view of the monastery from the river.


THEN we went to get custards at the most famous Pasteleria (pastry shop) in Portugal!

the place was jam-packed, and rightfully so.
the custard tarts we got were amazing.


:D

Ok, that's all I have for you guys for now. I'm heading to GREECE for a Spring Break, in two days, so I'll be back with a ton of amazing pictures, I promise. Until then, take care, everybody!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! Portugal is beautiful! and you take some pretty nice pictures I must say. and then GREECE soon? and MOROCCO? awwwwesome! have a blast, lady, I'm totally jealous

Jennifer said...

Wow, you are going EVERYWHERE! I am incredibly jealous. Now I really really really wish I had gone abroad. Maybe I'll just have to plan a summer long trip around Europe after graduation. Keep the pictures coming! Since I'm stuck at Mudd I have to live vicariously through them. :)

Anonymous said...

that first picture of the plaza in Portugal is amazing!!! it looks like one of those pictures i'd buy to frame and hang in my room!!! why is it that monuments and tourist sites are sooo much cooler in Europe?!?!?!?! lol...and you look very nice in that group picture you took out in the street (i assume thats after you had the shots?) ;D
the pictures are great! they make me insanely jealous and excited for you at the same time! love you and miss you! have fun in greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeece!

Anonymous said...

ahhhhhhh

that all looks freaking amazing.

trang said...

oh my gosh, natt. you are seriously living it up! greece? woah-oh! i didnt enlarge any of the pictures because it costs too much here, but i want to see the original sizes when i come back!!! :)