I'm studying at SLU (Saint Louis University), Madrid Campus, smack-dab in the center of Spain.However, for my orientation trip, a group of 32 of the visiting students flew to the Canary Islands, which are considered part of Spanish territory but are off the coast of Africa:

The island we stayed on was Tenerife, which is shaped like a duck!:

So I arrived in Madrid on Wednesday, had a bit of time to settle into my host-family's house, then went to orientation the following morning. Right after orientation, we were whisked away to the airport and flown to the Canary Islands (sooo much air travel in the span of three days, ick.) We arrived in Tenerife in the early evening, checked into our hotel, and were set loose to explore the city, which is gorgeous. Some examples (all photos are clickable so you can see larger versions):






The next day, we were supposed to go on a five-hour boat tour of the island, but strong winds caused the trip to be cancelled. Instead, we went to Loro Parque (you can see it on the map of Tenerife), which is a Sea-World-type theme park. We rode a cute little train there:

aaand ride one!In this picture, Becky is sitting behind me and Sarah is in front. I met Sarah in the Chicago airport, where my LAX flight connected to the SLU group flight, and we became fast friends. Becky is her best friend from SLU home campus (in Missouri, obviously), and we also get along fabulously.
we saw a cool leopard, cheezing for the camera.Loro Parque was fun, although I was dissapointed about missing the boat tour. Later that night we went exploring some more and found tons of "discotecas," haha. Here's us at "Enclave," where the bartender was really awesome and nice:

Too bad we stayed out pretty late, because we were pretty tired the next day, during which we went on a freakishly long hike (three, four hours?)
The sights were gorgeous, although the steep hike made me realize how out of shape I am, haha. The following pictures were taken from the trail

We took plenty of breaks along the way:
From left to right, Michael (whom I also met at the Chicago airport), Erin, Marion, Sarah, me, Becky.We came across a HUGE herd of goats about halfway up:
This is the view of the banana plantations from the top of the mountain we climbed. All in all, it was a good hike, I guess. Except that the weather kept changing, from sunny, to cold and foggy, to rainy (!) back to sunny. Eesh. At least I got to exercise a bit!So, obviously, we all survived the hike, took long naps, then went out to enjoy the night life again on our third day in Tenerife. The last day we were there, Sunday, we went up to Mt. Teide (also on the "duck" map) and explored the national park up there.
We were queens of the hill, obviously. :PSunday night, we returned, exhausted but happy, to Madrid, and went our separate ways to our respective host families. School started immediately, the next day.
My week has been pretty hectic because I found out right away that I did not like finishing classes at 8 pm every day, and some of the courses I was taking were not going to be as interesting as I had hoped. So I went through a lot of schedule changes, but I've finalized it now. I'm taking only four courses (woot!) and they are:
Communicating in Spanish II
History of the Modern World
History of Spanish Art II
Archeology of Mediterranean Civilizations
My schedule is much nicer now, and I don't get out as late as before. AND I don't have class on Fridays, which will be very nice because I plan to travel most weekends.
My classes are cool, the people and teachers are cool, the group of friends I have made are cool, the weather is cool. Literally, haha. I really miss the weather on Tenerife, which was much warmer (in the high 60's and low 70's) than here, where it's been in the 40's and 50's. But, today, for the first time since I've been here, it is SUNNY! I will definitely break out the sunglasses later when I go exploring the city.
As requested by a few of you, here are some pics of my housing situation. I live with a single señora, I have two roommates who are in a double on the far side of the house, and I have a single and a small bathroom to myself. My señora's name is Carmen and she's very nice, although she speaks rapid-fire Spanish that can be overwhelming. My two housemates, Sara and Alison, are also nice and I appreciate their company in the house -- I think we'll have lots of fun together. We have breakfast and dinner (which Carmen makes) together, and so far, I'm liking Spanish food! Ok, less talk, more pictures:
My week has been pretty hectic because I found out right away that I did not like finishing classes at 8 pm every day, and some of the courses I was taking were not going to be as interesting as I had hoped. So I went through a lot of schedule changes, but I've finalized it now. I'm taking only four courses (woot!) and they are:
Communicating in Spanish II
History of the Modern World
History of Spanish Art II
Archeology of Mediterranean Civilizations
My schedule is much nicer now, and I don't get out as late as before. AND I don't have class on Fridays, which will be very nice because I plan to travel most weekends.
My classes are cool, the people and teachers are cool, the group of friends I have made are cool, the weather is cool. Literally, haha. I really miss the weather on Tenerife, which was much warmer (in the high 60's and low 70's) than here, where it's been in the 40's and 50's. But, today, for the first time since I've been here, it is SUNNY! I will definitely break out the sunglasses later when I go exploring the city.
As requested by a few of you, here are some pics of my housing situation. I live with a single señora, I have two roommates who are in a double on the far side of the house, and I have a single and a small bathroom to myself. My señora's name is Carmen and she's very nice, although she speaks rapid-fire Spanish that can be overwhelming. My two housemates, Sara and Alison, are also nice and I appreciate their company in the house -- I think we'll have lots of fun together. We have breakfast and dinner (which Carmen makes) together, and so far, I'm liking Spanish food! Ok, less talk, more pictures:

Aaand, because I'd rather not finish a post with a picture of a toilet (hah), here's a picture of a store name that I found rather amusing:















10 comments:
it sounds like you're having an amazing time, i'm glad you went, though i miss you lots.
mariam and i are going to hold interviews for who gets to eat with us now, hehe...
amaaaazing. keep the posts coming :)
awww.. it seems like you are doing soo great there! i love the pictures!! glad to see you are doing soo great!
wowowowowowowowowow....lol. it sounds like your having such a good time there! and the pictures from the canary islands are beeeeautiful.! i miss you! and i also noticed that i'm on your wall! *score*! ;D
Spain sounds amaaaaaaaazing and i'm so glad that you're enjoying it!!! i love the pictures you take.. you're a good photo-journalist! hehehe.. and golly do i miss you Natt.. keep posting pictures so i can see your beautiful face! miss you and love you muco mucho ( :
Your room looks about as big as the one I stayed in when I visted my friend Andy in England (his room normally). I don't think I've ever so much as heard of a room so small in the states. That's cool that you have a single, though.
It's kinda weird having so many bio and biochem people gone, but I'm not in any big classes where I would expect to see all those people, so I don't notice it too much, except that so many of you are my friends and I miss you guys! I'm gonna have to go get strawberry donuts by myself this year!
And to reiterate everyone else's points, the pictures are amazing, looks like you're having a great time, keep it coming!
oh you are insane lady. seriously, how long did that take you? your picture posts always make me smile. i'm probably not going to do the same when i'm in new zealand. (i don't think i'll have internet connection at all.) :(
Wow thats amazing Natt! Sounds like you are having a great time over there. Mudd is a little lonely without all of you study abroad folks.
NATTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We miss you at DOS. But more to the point, I Gene Simmons, king of rock and roll and leather pants, miss your pretty face, smile, laugh...I could go on for days but I won't. We had our first meeting today (our brillitant activity planned for this weekend...drumroll please...Hobo camp!!!) quite the ridiculous if I may say so. I hope that you are having a grand ole' time and that some suave sophisticated spaniard serenades you soon (like my alliteration?). And you thought I was just a nerdy little engineer...well no more lady! Anyways, don't do anything I wouldn't do...which means in the words of Kenny Loggins: "You can fly if you'd only cut
(Chorus)
Loose, footloose
Kick off your Sunday shoes
Oowhee, Marie
Shake it, shake it for me
Whoa, Milo
C'mon, c'mon let go
Lose your blues
Everybody cut footloose"
Until next time, I heart you Nattypoo.
Well written article.
Post a Comment